Article I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Fellowship of Christian Librarians and Information Specialists.
Article II – PURPOSE
The Fellowship of Christian Librarians and Information Specialists (FOCLIS) is a nondenominational organization of people involved in the library and information profession who are committed to the Christian faith and seek to reflect its principles in their personal and professional life.
Article III – MEMBERSHIP
A. Membership is open to any librarian, library staff member, or library advocate who supports the mission of the Fellowship.
B. The membership year shall be the academic year, September-August.
C. Upon approval of the Executive Board, honorary lifetime membership may be awarded to an individual who has demonstrated exemplary service to the Fellowship or to the profession.
Article IV – OFFICERS
A. The officers shall consist of the President, Vice-President/President Elect, Immediate Past President, and three at-large Executive Board members.B.
B. Terms of Office
- The Vice President/President Elect shall serve one year as Vice President/President Elect, one year as President, and one year as Immediate Past President.
- The term of office for at-large Board members shall be three years. Membership shall be staggered with one at-large member being elected each year.
- The terms of office shall begin following the annual meeting at which they are elected.
C. Duties of Officers
- Executive Board
- The Officers shall appoint persons to the offices of Secretary/Treasurer and Editor of the Newsletter.
- The membership of the Executive Board shall consist of the elected and appointed officers.
- The Board shall administer the business of the Fellowship between annual meetings.
- A quorum shall consist of three members of the Executive Board, and shall include at least three of the elected officers.
- The President shall be responsible for appointing committees (except the Nominating committee) and shall preside at meetings of the organization and the Executive Board.
- Vice President/President Elect
- The Vice President/President Elect shall have the responsibility for the program at the annual meeting and shall preside at meetings in the absence of the President.
- Board Member At-Large
- At-Large Board Members shall serve on the Executive Board and perform duties as requested by the Board or assigned by the President.
- 5. Secretary/Treasurer
- The Secretary/Treasurer shall maintain the roster of members, receive suggestions for enlisting new members, extend invitations on behalf of the organization and perform other customary duties of a secretary/treasurer.
- Disbursements by the Secretary/Treasurer in excess of $200 shall be specifically authorized by the Executive Board.
- Newsletter Editor
- The Newsletter Editor shall be responsible for preparing and distributing a newsletter at least two times per year.
- A vacancy in the office of President shall be filled by the President Elect.
- The Executive Board may appoint a member to fill a vacancy in any other office.
Article V – ELECTIONS
A. The election of officers shall take place at the annual meeting or by electronic ballot.
B. A Nominating Committee of at least three members shall be appointed by the Executive Board. The slate of officers shall be communicated to the membership through the Newsletter, by a separate mailing, or through the FOCLIS e-mail list at least thirty (30) days prior to the Annual Meeting.
Article VI – MEETINGS
Meetings of the Fellowship shall be held annually in conjunction with the annual conference of the American Library Association.
Article VII – DUES
The annual dues for the Fellowship shall be established by a vote of the membership at the Annual Meeting. Proposed changes, as deemed necessary, shall be presented by the Executive Board and communicated to the membership through the Newsletter, by a separate mailing, or through the FOCLIS e-mail list at least 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting.
Article IX – AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS
These bylaws may be amended by any Annual Meeting by a majority vote of the members present, provided such amendments have been communicated to the membership through the Newsletter, by a separate mailing, or through the FOCLIS e-mail list at least 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting.
Article X – PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the conduct of the meetings.
Revised: June 2001, June 2006, June 2007; June 2013, June 2016